This is one of the tastiest stews I've ever tasted! Apparently Sherba is a speciality in North Africa. Full of flavour and very easy to make.
Ingredients (serves 4):
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
275gr boned shoulder of lamb, cut into small pieces
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground turmeric (στα ελληνικά: κουρκουμάς, κουρκούμη, κιτρινόριζα σε σκόνη)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
150gr tomato puree
1.5 ltr water
1 tsp salt
One 420gr tin chickpeas, rinsed (ρεβύθια σε κονσέρβα, βρασμένα)
2-3 tbsps orzo or similar size pasta pieces (μανέστρα)
3 tsp dried mint
juice of one lemon
150ml natural yogurt
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1) Heat the oil and cook the onions gently until soft in a covered saucepan, without colouring.
2) Add the meat and brown well.
3) Add the spices and tomato puree. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
4) Gradually add the water over a period of 15 minutes, in order to maintain a thick consistency.
5) Add the chickpeas and simmer for 5 minutes. Then stir in the pasta and simmer for 7 minutes.
6) Add the mint and simmer for a further 1 minute.
7) Stir in the lemon juice and served garnished with a swirl of natural yogurt and sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley.