I’m sure we all agree that the best cure for a Sunday morning hangover is a nice, big, greasy, English breakfast fry up! Keeping to the requirement for a hearty fry up, including the all important bacon, I am giving you today a recipe which is a sure winner!
I got it a few years ago from the internet but cannot remember its name, hence I named it the ‘Bacon Hangover Cure’. It has not failed to impress every time I served it and most people who tasted it have asked for the recipe. The combination of the ingredients may sound strange, but the blend of the salty, with the sweet and the spicy brings impressive results.
For 2 persons you will need:
10 rushes of bacon, cut in large pieces
150 gr mushrooms, thinly sliced
Juice of half a large orange
1 tsp whole grain mustard
4-5 tbsps double cream (κρεμα γαλακτος for my Greek friends)
2 large slices of toasted bread
Unsalted butter to fry
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the bacon.
2. Let it fry until brown and crispy on the sides.
3. Add the mushrooms and stir well.
4. Keep stirring so the mixture does not stick, until the mushrooms are soft and cooked.
5. Take pan off heat and stir in the orange juice, double cream and mustard. Place back to the heat and cook until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
6. Toast the slices of bread and place bacon mixture on top.