If you like corn maze (or corn meal, as otherwise known), you will love these delicious cookies. This is a traditional Greek recipe from the island of Corfu (there are other alternative recipes from other parts of Greece).
400gr corn maze (καλαμποκάλευρο)
Half a cup water, lukewarm
1 tbsp juice from an orange
1 tbsp water
Half tsp orange zest
Half tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
Juice from one orange
1) Place the corn maze in a bowl.
2) In a frying pan, melt the butter.
3) Once the butter is hot, add it to the corn maze. Stir the mixture very well and cover the bowl. Leave the bowl covered overnight.
4) The next day, add the lukewarm water into the mixture, followed by the tbsp of orange juice which you have stirred into the tbsp of water first. Add the orange zest, salt, sugar and knead the mixture well.
5) Cover the dough and leave it to rest for 1 hour.
6) Cut the dough into small pieces and shape them into any shape you like. Butter a baking tray and place the pieces in rows.
7) Bake them at 180C until they get an orange colour.
8) In another bowl, mix the orange juice with a bit of water. Put the sugar on a plate.
9) When the cookies are ready, leave them to cool down a bit and dip them quickly into the orange juice. Then turn them over into the plate of sugar and serve.