This is a very easy and tasty chowder for the summer. Although it requires fish stock, you can 'cheat' by using fish stock cubes or even cartons of fish stock sold on supermarkets.
200gr natural uncooked smoked haddock, skinned and flaked
725ml fish stock
400gr potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
75ml single cream
1 egg, hard boiled and finely chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Melt the butter and cook three quarters of the onion and 225gr of the potatoes gently, for about 5 minutes, in a covered saucepan.
2. Add the fish stock, cover, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
3. Cool a little and then puree using a liquidiser.
4. Return the soup to the heat, add the remaining potatoes and onion, cover and simmer gently for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
5. Add the fish, stir in the cream and add salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Take care as the smoked haddock is quite salty already. Add more water if necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
6. Serve garnished with chopped hard-boiled egg and chopped fresh parsley.